Buy One Get One: Highlights of Antarctica with Hurtigruten
Price: From $6,249USD Per Person*
(Price per person, based on double occupancy, cabin category RR.*)
Offer: When you book your adventure, you can bring a guest for free*
Photo: Hurtigruten | Antarctica | MS Roald Amundsen
Discover the wonders of the seventh continent on our 12-day expedition cruise Highlights of Antarctica. Discover Antarctica's wildlife, as we spot seals, penguin colonies and go whale watching against backdrops of staggering natural beauty.
- Flights in economy class between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia
- Overnight in Buenos Aires before the expedition cruise, including breakfast
- Transfer from the hotel in Buenos Aires to the airport before the expedition cruise
- Transfers between the Ushuaia airport and the ship, including a brief tour of the town
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to fill at onboard water refill stations
- Expedition Team who organize and guide activities, both on board and ashore
- Experts from the Expedition Team present detailed lectures on a variety of topics
- Use the ship’s Science Center, which features an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- The Citizen Science program allows guests to contribute to current scientific research projects
- The onboard professional photographer will give tips and tricks for taking the best landscape and wildlife photos
- The ship has hot tubs, a sauna, an outdoor and indoor gym, and an outdoor running track
- Escorted landings in a small boat (RIB) while in Antarctica
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment needed for the activities
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant expedition jacket
Photo: Map of Highlights of Antarctica itinerary
Day 1: The beat of Buenos Aires
Feel the rhythm of bustling Buenos Aires. An overnight stay in Buenos Aires is the ideal way to start your Antarctic adventure. Home to a proud and diverse community of porteños, or ‘people of the port’, this city is a sensuous fusion of faded European splendour and Latin American panache. There are plenty of places to explore, including many parrillas serving deliciously authentic Argentine steak. Or maybe practise your dancing moves in the famous hometown of tango. You may consider arriving a few days early to see all this vibrant city has to offer. Or you could explore wild Patagonia with our optional Pre-Program.
Photo: Hurtigruten | Antarctica | Zodiac Cruise
Day 2: Early start in Ushuaia
Start at the end of the world. Your adventure begins with an early morning flight to Ushuaia, where we'll meet our hybrid-powered expedition ship, MS Fridtjof Nansen, specially designed for sustainable cruising in polar waters. This bustling port is the capital of Argentina’s Tierra del Fuego province. Set against the magnificent backdrop of the Martial Glacier, Ushuaia vies for the title of the world’s southernmost city. After a briefing from your Expedition Team, you’ll have time to settle into your cabin and explore the comforts and amenities on board. Later, you'll join your Expedition Team for a welcome dinner.
Days 3–4: Get set for Antarctica
Centre on science before your Antarctic adventure. On the two-day crossing through the Drake Passage, the Expedition Team will equip you with all you need to make the most of your polar expedition. Visit the onboard Science Center and find out what lies ahead. Listen to experts talk passionately about Antarctica’s history, the science beneath the ice, and the impact of climate change and plastic pollution. You'll learn how to make your visit as safe and as sustainable as possible, and about the Citizen Science projects you can join. Relax and meet your fellow adventurers. Take an invigorating swim, enjoy a spa treatment and look out for icebergs, whales and albatrosses.
Days 5–9: Antarctica: another world
Experience Antarctica in all its natural majesty. Nothing quite prepares you for it. Surrounded by looming glaciers, and icebergs the size of floating cathedrals, Antarctica will fill you with wonder. Perhaps the most surprising part of Antarctica is the silence. It's a stillness that's broken every so often by the locals—the wildlife. Whales begin to arrive in greater numbers by December and January. This is also when the first penguin chicks hatch and seeing the clumsy clumps of feathers run around is always a charming sight. February and March are the peak of whale-watching opportunities, when large amounts of krill lure them to the area. You'll join the Expedition Team on landings and ice cruises, all included as part of your expedition. You may even get a chance to go kayaking among the icebergs on an optional activity. Back on board, the Expedition Team will continue their lectures, helping you grow in your insights of the frozen continent. Over five magical days, you'll experience this amazing world in a way that will stay with you for a lifetime.
Photo: Hurtigruten | Antarctica| Gentoo Penguins
Days 10-11: Returning to warmer waters
Crossing back through the Drake Passage. You exhilarating Antarctica cruise seems over before it's begun. Even after five days, you’ll only have scratched the surface of all there is to discover. It really is just the tip of the iceberg. Your head will likely still be a swirling kaleidoscope of special memories and new knowledge. If you have more questions, head to the Science Center and chat with the Expedition Team. As your mind tries to conjure up the magical Antarctic scenery, now could be a good time to sift through your photos and videos to recapture a sense of its magnitude. If the adrenaline is still coursing through you, a trip to the gym and sauna may help, or enjoy a few relaxing treatments in the Wellness Spa.
Photo: Hurtigruten | Antarctica | Camping
Day 12: Back to Buenos Aires
Memories to last a lifetime. Today, we arrive back in Ushuaia, where our 12-day expedition draws to a close. From here, you’ll take your charter flight back to Buenos Aires. As you leave this beautiful region behind, you’ll take with you lasting memories of everything you’ve seen and done, the importance of these precious habitats, and positive experiences of sustainable expedition travel. If you’re not ready for the adventure to end just yet, we recommend a visit to the magnificent Iguazu Falls with our optional Post-Program.